Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Decision

I have never been a runner.  Last year, a girls running club was started at the elementary school where I work, and I was not in the kind of shape I'd like to be, I joined.  At the end of the year we ran a 5k, and it felt fantastic.  I know that it isn't terribly far, but for me it was still an accomplishment!  Another teacher, who had never been a runner, was my training buddy, also finished the 5k.  After the race we made plans to run another and improve our times, but just never got around to it.

Several months later, a new school year begins, and our running club has started up again.  Unfortunately, my training buddy was diagnosed with a rare variety of lymphoma only a few weeks into the school year.  While she is taking care of herself, I am making the decision to push myself extra hard for the both of us.

It was in this spirit that I joined the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Teams in Training.  Come March, I will be running a half marathon in Virginia Beach.  As of right now, I can run about a mile.  This will be my place to share what it's like to go from a non-runner, to an attempted half marathon runner.

Should be amusing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment